Hello!

Welcome to my blog. Although it is called "Angry Hooton," I will try not to be so. This is a place for me to question politics, religion, and philosophy. If it sounds like I have the answers, I don't - I'm trying to find them. And if you can help steer me along the way, I will much appreciate it. Come with an open mind, and kind words.

Monday, June 21, 2010

The iron hammer of the law, or compassion for a sick woman?

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12673455

Ok, read this story, see what you think.

This woman, 4 days after her wedding, starts having a stroke. Her new husband takes her to the emergency room. On the way, there are two red lights, which he treats like stop signs. He stops, makes sure no one is coming, and then proceeds while the light is still red. A cop sees this, follows them to the ER, and then harasses them. He blocks their entry to the ER (the man is carrying his sick wife), and when they finally do get inside the officer tries to follow them into her hospital room. The husband is eventually arrested, on charges such as evading arrest.


So, here's my problem. At what point does the law need to take a backseat to what is right and moral for a specific situation? He wasn't behaving recklessly. I mean, he stopped at the stop light. No one was coming - at least he didn't hit anyone else. And he did it to save a possibly dying woman's life. Sure, perhaps he did break the law. But who of us wouldn't have done the same thing?

What sickens me is that this cop had no empathy for what was happening. Taking your dying wife into a hospital is not "evading arrest." If you want to give him a ticket, go ahead, but at least let him take his wife inside the hospital first.

What do you think? A cop is supposed to "protect and serve." Is upholding a traffic law to protect the public more important than protecting a woman who may be having a stroke? Where do we draw the line?

1 comment:

mspennylane said...

This is probably one of the worst things I have ever heard. Justice should only come AFTER the preservation of human life.