So, our nation was not founded as a Christian nation. And if I've done my job correctly, then you can see why these protections are not an attack on your religion, but exist for the good of all religions and all people.
So, with this knowledge, how does this affect the way you treat other people -- especially the way you treat people who are different from you, or hold differing beliefs?
Well, remember what I said about thinking about what the world would be like if the shoe were on the other foot? Think about that, always. The next time you think, "Well, yeah, the country would be a better place if homosexuals couldn't marry," then ask yourself, "Well, how would I feel if they were the majority, and they told me that I couldn't marry the person that I love?"
If you think, "Maybe they should teach Creationism in science classes, alongside purely scientific theories." Then stop yourself for a moment and ask, "Well, what if they taught every religion's creation story as a scientific theory? What if they taught Greek Mythology as fact, instead of leaving that up to me, the parent? How would I feel about that? Would that blur the lines between science and faith? And would that be good for science OR faith?"
There are many examples of such questions - where religion steps into the public realm. And you should always ask yourself, how would this feel if I were the minority? How would I feel if someone were imposing their beliefs on me, and trying to force me to live or believe like they do? How would I feel if I couldn't pursue my most basic desires (like the desire to marry the person I love) because I have a differing religious opinion from the "norm" or the majority?
It would feel awful.
So, the lesson at the end of the day is: Don't do that to people. Don't put people in a position where you're imposing your beliefs on people.
Let people be free, like you like to be free.
Friday, September 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment